What kind of footing do I need to use as a top coat on my corral and...

What kind of footing do I need to use as a top coat on my corral and riding/driving ring for my miniature therapy and driving horses. The filings used before were tiny sharp pieces that wore the unshod hooves down way to quickly. Please help - I am willing to pay to have an expert come out to consult and give me a recommendation. I can also send pictures of how it looks today if that would help.

Delaware County Ohio

I asked our OSU Horse specilast and her answer is below.

The client would not want to use deep footing with miniature horses, especially if they are used for driving. Usually, the arena surface is 2-4” of sand, dirt, synthetic material or a combination of 2 or 3 of them. I recommend going no deeper than 2” with miniature horses.

Here is a link to a brief 1 page summary for arenas with a visual that may be useful for the client.

http://ultimatearenaguide.com/horse-arena/base-information/

If you have other questions please call our Delaware County office at 740.833.2030

Thanks