Type of Plant

I have this all over my yard and I’m not sure what it is.

Prince George's County Maryland

This is perilla, a foreign invasive plants. These are damaging to the environment because they are extremely aggressive and are destructive to parks and natural areas, reducing the native plants that our wildlife has evolved to depend on.

Pull it ASAP, before it produces seeds (which can stay alive in soil for many years.) Bag and trash. If you compost them, be sure they have no seeds or enough root system with soil attached to continue growing.

Here's more: Eradication of beefsteak plant is achieved through the pulling of seedlings, and foliar application of glyphosate herbicide to stands which are too dense to pull. Because of late emergent plants it is advisable to remove the plants twice in the season. To prevent spread of seeds or fruits remove the plants before they ripen. Monitor each year for several years until eradicated.

Ellen