mushrooms under oaks, in fine fescue
Over an area of about 80 sq yards grew large, 6" mushrooms, smooth with fine gills and 1-2" stems appeared for over 6 weeks. A squirrel has been seen nibbling. They are getting darker as they age, and the edges are becoming not smooth. somewhat ruffled. What can you tell me about them?
Baltimore County Maryland
We don't try to identify species of mushrooms. (You can try contacting your local mycological association for id.)
However, we can say that lawn mushrooms are perfectly normal and not harmful. Like other fungi, they live on dead organic material, which means there are probably old dead tree roots in the soil, or a lot of old organic material, such as compost. They are best approached as a fleeting oddity. No treatment is necessary, and occasionally they are quite interesting. If you don't like them, simply knock them over. They never last long anyway.