Unwell Autumn Blaze maple

Hello, This is an Autumn Blaze maple planted last year that has always been healthy until last week. It is watered regularly. I was wondering what is wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

Pender County North Carolina

Hi, thanks for the great clear pics! It looks like it's getting too much water or maybe not enough drainage. You can check the roots by digging down about a foot a couple feet from the base of the tree and cut a root with some pruners. If the root is brown or black inside, it has root rot. You could move it some place with better drainage and make sure to only water it when the soil is dry to the touch.

Thank you for your response. My significant other has admitted to overwatering it (giving it 2 gallons three times week, in addition to any rainfall), which is what we’re giving our fruit trees that are all new this year. What should he reduce it to? How can we tell when it’s recovering?

Thank you.

I would only give it a gallon when the soil is dry to the touch. It should recover with time (maybe next spring) when it only gets watered when the soil is dry.

Thank you so much for your response and patience.

I know that soil around new trees needs to be kept moist for the first year and you advised giving 1 gallon when the soil is dry to the touch after that, but does that advice also apply during the colder months?

Thank you.

You're welcome! You can back it up to 1/2 gallon during the colder months if the soil is dry to the touch and its a cold temperature. If it's a warm day and the soil is dry, I would still give it a good soaking with a gallon. Take care!