Most flavorful tomato

This is an opinion question! The past years I have planted the "Big Beef" variety and have been very happy. However, I don't go around asking folks for samples of theirs to make a comparison. Figured I'd tap your vast knowledge for opinions. Am familiar that the cherry types are probably the sweetest, but I prefer larger ones for my purposes. In the 60's as a kid, my family always planted "Early Girls" because they were the sweetest. Thank you, JOHN

Douglas County Oregon

Thank you for your question, John. Unfortunately, what is "best" or "most flavorful" to one palate is a different experience to another tongue! The best I can do is to refer you to an excellent Extension article listing the advantages among several varieties, all of which are favored by someone! https://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/sff/sff-tomatoes/

We are of a certain generation that had favored varieties, maybe out of habit or family preferences or ease of obtaining the plants or seeds. The development of new varieties for specific tastes and regions has greatly improved what is available or viable in different regions. One of the other problems in selecting "Miss America" is that weather, water and sun conditions can alter subtle characteristics from year to year, so this year's winner may not be in the running next year. Just experiment and, if you're inventive, develop another variety! Hope this is helpful. Good luck!