Fallen fruit

I have four very mature apple and fruit trees. There is so much fallen fruit I cannot compost at all. What should I do with all the apples and pears that have fallen to the ground? Thank you, Serena Brophy 503 302-5823

Marion County Oregon

Dear Serena,
If the fruit is fallen but not damaged, any of the soup kitchens in your area will take it or FISH. Any of the non-profits that give food to the homeless would be interested. I don't believe that Food Centers that distribute the food can take it without a contract that had been signed before hand. They send Gleaners out and have them take the fruit. However, if you feel this is something that will occur every year, contact Oregon Food Bank www.oregonfoodbank.org.
They will put you in touch with a local food center that has volunteer Gleaners. You might also contact the local Boys and Girls Club (again if the fruit is edible) to see if they will take it. There are many, many non-profits that may be interested in the food and might even come out and pick it up for you. Another thought, put out in your front yard with a FREE FRUIT sign. It may be gone before you know it.
If you have any further questions, please contact us again.