Black brunnera

I have several brunnera Jack Frost, one of which has collapsed with most if the leaves turning black. There are a few healthy leaves left. What is happening? Should I remove the plant or will it come back next year? If I do remove it, can it be replaced with the same variety of do I need to replace with a different species? And how do I protect the adjacent brunnera?

Ingham County Michigan

Greetings,
Brunnera are subject to a whole host of foliage diseases which can certainly be worse during a year like this one. The yellowing of the foliage that is at the top of your photo looks like heat stress to me. So, with foliage disease combined with a growing year like we have been having, these plants really struggle. One thing that you will benefit from is to clean up the blackened tissue and remove it from the site to reduce disease occurrence next year. Make sure watering is done during the daytime hours so foliage dries off before evening hours.