What bush is this and how do I manage it?

Hello, See the pictures attached. The closeups should give you an idea of the leaves and blooms, I hope, and the full length picture should give you an idea of the size. The bush has always been here since we moved in, and has always been fairly short. Suddenly it's taking off and as you can see, starting to obstruct the view from the porch. I'd like to know what it is, so I can find out how to care for it - I don't think it's a problem plant. I'd like to trim it back, but I don't think this is the right time of year to do it. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Baltimore County Maryland

What you have there is a nice looking example of the shrub called Pieris japonica, sometimes called Japanese Andromeda or Lily of the Valley bush.
You are right that now is not the best time to prune it back. The fragrant flowers, which bloom in late winter into early spring are already formed and will be lovely to see from your windows.
Pruning is best done just after they have bloomed, usually around April.

You can learn more about this acid-loving plant here:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=e680

Christine

Thank you! That's very helpful.

You are welcome!
We are happy to help any time.

Christine