when to prune gardenias

I am confused! Is it safe to prune gardenias now (Aug 19 2020)? I have read that 1) prune after blooms are finished, which is now. 2) Wait until cool Fall. So which is it? thanks! Jo

Durham County North Carolina

This question was answered by Flora, Durham County Extension Master Gardener volunteer

Thank you for your question.

The best time to prune gardenias is immediately after blooming, not later than August 10th in North Carolina. Pruning later in the year may inadvertently remove new buds for the next flowering season. In addition, pruning in the late fall would encourage tender new growth which would be damaged by winter cold.

Attached is a pruning calendar you may find helpful.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

https://polk.ces.ncsu.edu/pruningcalendar/

NC Cooperative Extension

Durham County Center

Master Gardener Office

721 Foster Street

Durham, NC 27701

919-560-0528

durhammastergardener@gmail.com

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I must have more than one kind of gardenia because one is not finished, still has quite a few blooms but others finished a week or two ago. Helpful calendar!

You can contact the Durham County Master Gardeners volunteers at durhammastegardener@gmail.com
they can help identify the gardenias you have. You can send in pictures to help them.
Glad to be of help.