Mushrooms

Asked August 19, 2020, 9:08 AM EDT

I work at the early learning center. We have been finding many more mushrooms on our playground lately. Out of precaution, we have been removing them. I have attached a picture of one of them, wondering if someone can tell from a picture whether or not they are poisonous. Thank you,

New Castle County Delaware

1 Response

Although I can't be certain from one photo, this looks like a common puffball mushroom. Puffballs are not poisonous, but I would never presume to be an expert on poisonous mushrooms. Removing mushrooms from an area where young children play is a good idea, but you might want to consider first teaching the children what a mushroom is and explaining that they should never to eat a wild mushroom as it can be very difficult to tell the safe ones from the poisonous ones. Then remove the mushroom just in case someone decided to try it for him- or herself.

Thank you for your carefulness.