Cane berry planting

When is the best time of year to plant cane berries? Can I do it in August? Is there an optimal number of plants/rows I should plant? GO BEAVS!

Multnomah County Oregon

The best time to plant is late winter early spring, with bare-root canes. You can plant now but you will need to make sure the plants get adequate water until the fall rains start. Depending on the type of caneberry (floricane or primocane) you may have a minimal harvest next year, but the following year should be fine.

I have a single row of raspberries that is about 10 feet long (It's been in for 30 years) and I started with about ten canes, but each cane will produce multiple canes in subsequent years.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/help-cane-berries-bear-more-fruit is an article from Oregon State Extension explaining that it's important to annually manage the canes. There are additional links to more general long-term care of your caneberries.