Lake water

I live on spring lake and have been watering my Vegtable garden with water from the lake In am I fill a watering can A few times and water. I wash the Vegs before I eat any. And the water has been tested As safe. Is the water from a fresh water lake ok to use on my Vegetable garden?

Ottawa County Michigan

Hello and thank you for using eXtension for your home irrigation question. As long as you are growing the vegetables for home use and the water is safe for human contact, AND you are washing your produce, you should be fine. Irrigation using surface water for food crops is not recommended for commercial crops or crops intended for sale even at a farm stand because of the risks involved.

Yes, the Vegetables I am harvesting are only for our personal use . Thank you for the quick response. This years pandemic has given me more time to focus on my home garden and it is very satisfying and the warm temps have given me lots of bounty. Stay healthy, Carol