Tulip Poplar

New home-owner so I’m unsure of how a “tulip poplar” grows / looks normally. However, I have a beautiful, large one in the middle of my yard that seems to be shedding bark abnormally with dark black spots under the bark. The tree is at least 130’ tall and about 10’ in diameter. Just wanted to be proactive if there is anything wrong with it!

Calvert County Maryland

Tulip poplars that are this mature typically shed their bark at the base.

The dark spots may be slime flux, or they could be worrisome, we cannot determine that from the photos at this stage.

Here is information and photos of slime flux (which is harmless): https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/slime-flux-and-wetwood

You could also have a certified arborist look at the spots. Often, though associated with tree service companies, there is no charge to assess the tree. You can find a certified arborist near you, certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), at: treesaregood.org

Ellen