Grub/maggot bloom in Compost

Hello, My wife and I have a compost bin in the yard and after recently dumping a small. Bucket of apples in the bin, discovered a grub or maggot bloom. We could see literally thousands of them and hear the compost bubbling and oozing. One remaining apple was completely coveted by a ball of the little wigglers. We mixed in some pine needles to lower the moisture, but it appears they have just moved lower in the pile into the good soil. I think they are soldier fly larva, but was hoping you could confirm and advise if we need to get rid of them. They are off white in color with a segmented body that is kind of flat when they stretch out. Half inch to 1 inch in size. Larger ones are darker almost brown in color. Thanks! Adam Michaud

Benton County Oregon

Hello there. Yes these appear to be soldier fly larvae. No action is needed. These guys are part of the creatures that live in the compost and break it down. I used to get them in my worm bin. The adults were annoying as they would fly in my face every time I opened the bin. I was able to put screen on the vents to exclude the adults but but a few still got in. I doubt that this solution is a practical one for you as your bin is outside. The good part is that the population boom will subside. The next time you add to the pile I suggest that you cover it or mix it in.