Tansy removal

Hi there. We live on 3 acres in Scio & this year, the tansy invaded our 2 acre pasture where we have one horse. Unfortunately, my husband had a knee injury that prevented him from walking all through June & July, and now we’re trying to catch up on caring for our property. We know that this tansy is toxic and need it gone. But, it’s too hard to pull from the root for removal - we’ve been trying! It’s so tall....almost to my chest....and very thick. We’ve already removed a huge trailer load. Is it safe to mow the rest and leave on the ground to decompose or should we continue with hand removal? Since it’s too hard to pull, we considered using a weed wacker to cut them down to the ground, and then removing the debris. I’ll send a few photos so you can see what we’re dealing with. We want what’s best for our horse & also what will prevent it from growing again. We plan to spray in the fall and spring to get rid of this for good. Any other advice you might offer?

Linn County Oregon

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.