Lifespan of Blackberry Plants

I have read that blackberry plants have an expected lifespan. I have heard that the blackberries with Native American names such as Apache are expected to have shorter lifespans than other "North American" varieties. If primocanes emerge each year, wouldn't the blackberry patch live indefinitely? Are primocanes still dependent on the original root system? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Angela

Clermont County Ohio

Angela

I have included a pdf of our Midwest Home Fruit Production Guide. The information you have inquired about regarding canes and blackberries begins on page 44. As for the native names, I have not heard anything with their lifespan. I will suggest looking at the charts of varieties and planning the best variety for you.

https://plantpathology.ca.uky.edu/files/mw_home_fruit_productn_b591.pdf

If you have any further questions, pPlease contact me via email at neal.331@osu.edu or 513-732-7070.

Thank you for the article Gigi. Unfortunately, I was not able to locate an answer to my question.

Contact me via email at neal.331@osu.edu. I'll do some further research and contact our small fruit specialist. It's easier to connect on email.