Bird mites, Morgellons, or Insanity?

I believe that we as a family have been infested with bird mites. I see them in varias stages of life cycles on the floor and can feel them under my skin. I began having these strange fibers come out of my body in the beginning...now I have painful creatures leaving my feet. I see them move out if the corner of my eye and have seen things I can only describe as space like alienesque formations come out of my legs and arms. I thought we had lice and also I thought I had a terrible outbreak of acne. However when I started to use garlic and lime it begun to eradicate them...downside being having to watch as these terrible body invaders moved under my skin obviously bothered by the ingredients I was applying to my skin. I am so scared that they are going to kill me as my kidneys are already in failure and am on dialysis. No one believes ie supports me and although I have pictures it seems no one will give me the time of day. What should I do? Who do I call? Am I actually having some sort of mental break?

Jackson County Oregon

We at eXtension are NOT medical professionals and make no claims to be knowledgeable when it comes to the practice of medicine. I am an entomologist. This being said, I am empathetic to your situation as I have heard stories like yours many times over the years as an entomologist. I hear you and I am very sorry that you are suffering.

Now, brass tacks:
The pictures you attached do not present an immediate flag to me. However, some of wording and phrasing you use in your email do.

Immediately stop ANY chemical applications to your skin, clothings, bedding, etc. as this may be exacerbating the problem. "Chemical applications" may include, but are not limited to cleaning products, pesticides (this includes home remedies, organic, or conventional pesticides), medications (this includes over-the-counter products and prescription products), essential oils, etc.

I'm encouraged by some of the wording you have used. I'll explain. The subject line "Bird mites, Morgellons, or Insanity?" sounds like you are open to alternative explanations to what you think may be bird mites under your skin.

I'd like for you to read some papers from Dr. Nancy Hinkle, a medical-veterinary entomologist with the University of Georgia. Dr. Hinkle has written extensively about Ekbom Syndrome (formerly known as Delusory Parasitosis).

I advise you to see your primary care physician with these publications in hand and have a candid conversation about what is going on physically and psychologically.

Again, I am NOT a medical professional and am NOT making any kind of medical diagnosis. I am simply offering a possible alternative explanation for what you are experiencing.

I hope this is helpful to you and wish you relief.