Strange Wasp/Hornet/Bee/Bug?

I’ve tried to identify this using multiple websites and I am having no luck. It makes me wonder if it is not common in my area or if it is invasive or something. I am sending this request to the Kentucky extension, but I actually live in Evansville IN. I found this on my back porch this morning. I never saw it flying, just moving around some. I have more pictures and a video, if that would be helpful in identifying it. The video moves around it and gives a very clear picture of at least three sides. A large bug, maybe a cicada or a dragonfly, flew by and it stood up tall and looked like it was trying to make itself look bigger. It appears to have barbed legs, and a stinger or tail that looks like another leg, but it seems to tuck it under sometimes. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Vanderburgh County Indiana

This is a robber fly, it eats other insects and is considered a beneficial insect for that reason.