Hydrangeas didn't bloom

Why? I have 2 of these plants. On one of them there was 1 lilac colored flower on the underside of the plant. On the other, there were no blooms. I've had these for 7 years, and they always bloomed. The leaves are full and vibrant. Also, is there anything I can do this year, in hopes of blooms next year? Thanks. Nita

Ramsey County Minnesota

The reasons plants don't bloom can be complicated. They can be cultural (pruning at the wrong time, too shady, too much nitrogen fertilizer) or weather-related (hard winter, dry weather). If the plant looks otherwise healthy, you should hope this was a one-off and wait until next season. In the meantime, read here about why plants don't bloom:

Since you got blue blooms on your plant, I will assume that they are H. macrophylla 'Endless Summer' or one of its relatives. 'Endless Summer' has not proved to be as reliably hardy as some had hoped, earning it the nickname 'Endless Bummer'. However, 'Endless Summer' blooms on both old and new wood, so possibly you'll get blooms late in the season. Read here: