Zucchini plants dying

My zucchini plants were great looking last week. Yesterday upon inspection they have begun to wilt and I noticed the stems near the soil were split open. I am sure this is what is causing the plants to die. What is it and how can it be stopped. Still have ONE healthy looking plant.

Baltimore County Maryland

It sounds as if you have Squash Vine Borers tunneling into the vine.

Sometimes when caught early you can slice open the vine longitudinally/vertically and remove the borer and then cover the wound with soil. You could still try this.

For the one healthy vine, try wrapping the base of the main stem with aluminum foil.
More about this pest and other means of control can be found at this link from our website: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/squash-vine-borer-vegetables

Christine

You were so right. I went out after the rain stopped and checked the lower vines.. Too late though. I slit the vine open only to find SIX of the borers in the stem and heading north into the main plant. Thank you for responding so quickly. Now to decide if I want to try planting a later crop following the precautions in the article.