Lettuce green worms

My crop of lettuce in my raised lettuce table has been destroyed by worms. I have removed all the plants and sifted through the dirt. I want to plant a second crop for the fall. Do I need to totally replace the dirt or can I just add some new dirt to my lettuce table and they plant the new crop? Do you have any other suggestions to prevent these worms in my new crop?

Leavenworth County Kansas

No need to replace the soil. Just add to existing soil. Not sure what the worms are but likely Lepidopteran (moth or butterfly larvae) that can be controlled with insecticides. If you wish to use organic controls, try BT (Dipel or Thuricide) or a product with spinosad. Spinosad is found in Natural Guard Spinosad, Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, Bonide Colorado Potato Beetle Beater and Monterey Garden Insect Spray. Start spraying when you find the first worm.

Ward