CATALPA Leaves curling

Leaves curlingI have inspected my leaves find holes but the new new new baby leaves curl up in a little balls and I can’t get inside to see what’s going on but when I finally do I don’t see anything in there causing all the baby leaves to curl it has slow the growth of my tree which I really really really really really love

Hillsborough County Florida

Hello and thank you for your question. I found a similar question on another thread, with photos of a catalpa and this response - link to view the thread: https://ask.extension.org/questions/408222:

From Robert Cox: "Catalpa is one of several trees that are very sensitive to herbicide drift injury."

Even a small amount of herbicide exposure may cause leaf deformity. If an herbicide was applied to the lawn or surrounding area or the lawn, it may have damaged the tree.

Please take a look and let me know if this is what you're seeing. You may reach me at pinsonn@hillsboroughcounty.org. You could also email me a picture of your tree so I may determine if it might be something else.

Thanks!
Nicole