Bugs (maybe thrips) eating dahlias - what to do?!

Hello, I am seeing advice oh how to treat one of my dahlia plants for a bug infestation. The plant's blossoms are coming in deformed because of an infestation of little black bugs, possibly thrips. They are only attacking one plant and I have tried to cut away the affected blossoms, but they keep coming back. I've been trying not to use any chemicals on them but I am ready to do whatever is necessary before it spreads to other plants. I have included pictures of the bugs and the damage. I would be so grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you! Andrew Billi 911 Gott St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Washtenaw County Michigan

Hi Andrew,

Those kind of look like thrips. If they are confined to the flowers it is going to be difficult to treat with an insecticide without harming pollinators. If that is not an issue for you, try treating with Ortho Bug-B-Gon. Be sure to read and follow all the instructions and safety precaution found on any pesticide label.

Best regards,
Howard