hydrangea tall, leafy, few blooms

From a single hydrangea Bush I have cultivated 5 others and the ones that I planted near the North side of a 2 story house only put out leaves that no flowers. I've allowed all of them to grow tall like over 7 or 8'. And only the ones on the North side of the house Are problematic with long leggy giant leaves and very few blooms. I thought they like the shade. Also they're very maybe should I cut the old Bros down to a foot from the ground?

King County Washington

Hi--congratulations on your successful propagation of hydrangeas! My guess is that your non-blooming hydrangeas are not getting enough sun. There are several reasons for non-blooming including (excerpt from article listed below):

• Improper shearing and renewal pruning on H. macrophylla and serrata cultivars
  • Frost injury to early expanding growth buds
  • Pruning more than a month after bloom time in summer
  • Excessive shade
  • Excess nitrogen fertilization
But the legginess that you're observing adds to the argument that your plants aren't getting enough sun. If there is a way to open up the area- like pruning overhanging tree branches, you might have some success. After you've let in some light, you may want to prune them to help them to bush out. Here's a great resource for info about hydrangeas: https://chesapeake.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/chesapeake_ext_vt_edu/files/pruning-hydrangeas.pdf