Pokeweed

I am a senior and live alone,this bush grew over night,what can I do to get rd of it

New Castle County Delaware

Hello, you mentioned or titled your question Pokeweed, but you referred to it as a bush. Is a picture available? We do need to verify the plant before we can provide advice for removal. You can upload up to three photos.

Pokeweed is a poisonous plant with a very deep taproot. However, it is prized as a beneficial plant in native plant gardens, bird friendly, etc. But it can pop up in unwanted places, and is not a good plant to have around children. The taproot is very deep and you can cut it off at the surface and that will remove seed production and spreading issues, but if any part of the root is left in the ground, it will grow back.
Gloves should be worn at all times when handling pokeweed.
Please send a photo if you can and we will direct it to the proper expert. Thank you.