New Honeysuckle vine

Hello, I recently planted two vines to grow on a Trellis and they took off growing like crazy and actually had blooms/flowers for a short time. Then suddenly the leaves started to yellow and vines starting to look dead, but it’s still growing like crazy at the tops so far; even on the dead looking vines at the bottom up. Please help I want to try and save these. I’ve never had these do this in the past with growing these.

Iosco County Michigan

Hi;
There can be many reasons why plant leaves turn yellow, so a bit more info is needed:
1. Are they getting too much water or not enough?
2. Did you notice anything else on the plant that may suggest there is a disease issue, such as black spots or white material?
3. What are the soil conditions like where you planted it? Rich in organic matter, or sandy?
4. Is the vine getting enough light?

Send me a photo if you can too-both a photo from afar and a close-up. Thanks!

Hello,thank you for replying to my question. Yes we have sandy soil. We have not seen any kind of bug nor spider on the plant’s. We had just purchased these and they took off like crazy , all the wrapped vining is all new growth. And it’s dying off.

Thank you
Kim Roth

I just realized I forgot to say these are honeysuckle vines.

Thank you
Kim Roth

These photos are very helpful-thanks for sending!

Diagnosis: Plant has spindly growth/lacks vigor, visual evidence of some fungi like powdery mildew (but not the overall cause for the poor growth); yellowing leaves same as ones with mildew, but which came first not known, so yellowing could be from lack of nutrients or watering issues.

Overall-I think your problem has little to do with a pest, and more to do with cultural practices. Here is my recommendation:
1. Dig it up and improve soil conditions by working in plenty of compost and peat over a fairly wide area so roots do not circle and grow out from the plant. If roots are circling when you dig it up, pull them out so they grow out from the plant when replanted.
2. Cut back all top growth to about one foot from the base of the plant (I know this is hard, but you want to encourage a more robust plant and need to cut it back to do so.) Cut off all pieces at the base that are clearly dead (snap off easily).
3. Replant and make sure to water well for a few weeks until plant re-establishes itself. Water at the base and not from above (above watering encourages growth of powdery mildew). Continue to mulch in future years to conserve water loss in the soil.
4. Fertilize regularly with a slow release fertilizer in the coming years b/c slow release fertilizers are best for sandy soils where liquid fertilizers drain past roots too quickly.

I think the reason it did well after you first planted it was b/c it was in good shape to begin with and had plenty of growth and energy to put on a good show. But once it settled into its new environment, it was missing some much needed better soil conditions, nutrients, etc.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for your guidance; we will definitely try your suggestions.

Thank you
Kim Roth