sour cherry tree

I have a sour cherry tree that is about 4-5 years old and has produced great fruit, last year there was what looked like a white mildew low on the trunk - still fruited this year, but there were a lot of dead branches so I removed them. I have not seen the mildew this year. I do see what looks like a hardened sap (amber like) there are no signs of runnin sap on the trunk. Wondering if the hardened sap like substance is an issue I need to attend to, Thanks so much

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Here is the response provided by Annie Klodd, Extension Educator - Fruit and Vegetable Production, University of Minnesota Extension....

This is a very visual problem, and without photos I cannot diagnose it. I recommend that you read this article on diagnosing fruit tree trunk injuries, and consider whether the factors discussed in the article might apply to your situation: https://blog-fruit-vegetable-ipm.extension.umn.edu/2020/04/diagnosing-and-managing-apple-trunk.html If you have a lot of dead branches and symptoms on the trunk, trunk diseases are a strong possibility.

Hope this helps.