Locust Trees suckers or runners

A few years ago I cut down a cluster of locust trees at the edge of my yard. Since then hey have continually sent out suckers or runners, I'm not sure the correct term and small Locust plants would pop up. it seems that in this dry spell right now and even through the years they would be worse when it was very dry. I was wondering is this going to continue until that stump is more or less destroyed ?is it still giving some foundation for these root system to be active? So if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Mike

Harford County Maryland

Black locusts can send up suckers from their root system as far away as the height of the tree. They can sucker when healthy, and not just triggered by a tree being cut down.

Cut them off as soon as you see them unless you want a tree there. If you have a mature locust that you value, you should not apply any treatment to the cut surfaces when you cut them down. If you do not have a locust that you value, you can apply glyphosate or triclopyr (woody plants) to the cut end as soon as you cut them off. Removal of locust suckers is a long going battle.
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/robinia-pseudoacacia/

Marian