Foundered

Our horse has foundered. When can we put the horse back on pasture and how long. and we have the horse on first cutting hay right now

Barry County Michigan

Hello!

Unfortunately, this is a complex question that can't be completely answered as I don't know the severity or length of your horse's condition, or to what extent they are healed. The quality and quantity of your pasture would also need to be considered. This decision should be made in consultation with both your vet and farrier. When putting healthy horses out on pasture for the first time (or after a long break), you would want to introduce them gradually. For example, you can put them out on pasture for 2 hours to begin with, for a week's time. Then transition to half a day (4-5 hours) for a second week. A 3rd week can be increased again by 2-3 hours, until you reach the desired pasture time. If your horse is outside all of the time, this transition process to pasture may take even longer. You will also want to closely monitor your horse's body condition score to be sure that it maintains an ideal weight throughout this process. As you may already know, once a horse has foundered, it is more likely to founder again and being overweight can predispose them to foundering.

While I know this wasn't a quick and easy answer, I hope I provided you with some useful information that will help you make your decision moving forward. Best of luck!