Black rot canker—crabapple

Hello, I have a twenty year old crabapple that has been confirmed to have black rot canker. Based on the age of the tree and the disease diagnosis, I will be looking to remove the tree this winter to prevent the fungi from spreading. I would like to plant another crabapple in the same area but was wondering how I should treat the soil and the area in general to prevent the new tree from being infected. What measures should I take and how long should I wait before planting a new crabapple. Thank you

Minnesota

Spores survive in mummified fruit, and affected trunks, twigs and branches. If all of these are removed including the stump, it should be safe to replant.

We found no evidence that the fungus survives in the soil, so no treatment is needed.

Thank you for your response. Would you be able to recommend a nursery that ships online for crabapples.

Thank you again

Susan

I'm sorry but we can't recommend specific businesses. You will need to search online and choose one that has stock available.