Southern exposure concrete container gardening

Hello. My backyard gets full southern exposure. I live in Canton and have a concrete yard, so I need to do container gardening. On the fence, I have four concrete plant containers. What flowers would you recommend for planting in these containers during July? Thank you for any help.

Baltimore Maryland

It is difficult to say without knowing the size of the containers and how they are designed (hopefully there are drainage holes), but annuals are better suited to challenging conditions where perennials may struggle to survive long-term due to limited root space and exposure to winter cold when in an above-ground container.

Heat-tolerant, sun-loving annuals include Lantana, Flowering Vinca (Catharanthus roseus, not the ground-covering Vinca minor), Zonal Geranium (Pelargonium), Petunias, Gazania, Canna Lily, and Salvia. When the weather cools in autumn, you can swap them out for Chrysanthemums, decorative Cabbage/Kale, Pansies, Snapdragons, and annual Asters. Of these, the Pansies are the most cold-hardy and will continue to flower through winter and into spring if the weather isn't too harsh.

You could also try culinary herbs if the soil drains well, though not all perennial herbs may survive from year to year and might need replanting each spring as if they were annuals. Though they do flower if not trimmed, they are mainly grown for cooking use as well as their pleasant leaf scents. Good candidates include Thyme, Rosemary, Lavender, Oregano, Marjoram, Mint (this can be an aggressive spreader though), Sage, Santolina, and Scented Geranium.

Miri