Animal identification

This was in our canal by Algonac mi. We believe it is under someone's shed. He heard a wild beast sound and we think it is this creature. He is going to try and catch air. Was wondering if you would be interested in taking it if it is caught . Thank you Paula Burbary 586 201 3753

St. Clair County Michigan

Hello Paula,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm a little unsure if you are asking for identification help or not, but this looks like a beaver. Although it's a little difficult to tell how big the animal is in the photo, so if it's smaller than my eyes are telling me from the photo, it might just be a muskrat. Beavers are quite large, between 35 and 60 pounds, while muskrats are typically under 5 pounds. The head proportions (snout/eyes/ears) make me think this is large (i.e., beaver). It looks strange because only the head is wet and the back fur is dry, so it makes the animal look quite bizarre.

Beaver and muskrats build their own shelters out of natural materials, so I doubt this animal is using someone's shed. That sounds more like a woodchuck/groundhog.

Regarding the trapping of this animal, no, we do not take live or dead trapped animals, sorry. FYI, beavers and muskrats are a state regulated furbearer so you (or whoever is going to try to trap this animal) will need the appropriate license through the Michigan DNR, at least to trap it legally...

Thank you,