Garden thief

Last year I had cantaloupe went harvest and they were hollow. The fruit had holes in the earth side . Sweet potatoes and beets had nice healthy tops both were eaten . Have no evidence of a mole or any burrowing critter any ideas.

Burleigh County North Dakota

Do you have any photos of the damage that you can share with me? Photos would be very helpful for identifying a potential culprit.

I never heard back from you. You stated there is no evidence of mammalian thieves. Is it possible that you might have had a problem with slugs: https://apps.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/fruit/melons/fruitholes.html

I have no photos from last year , how do you check for slugs and how do you get rid of them

Hi,
My name is Kelsey Deckert and I am the Horticultural Agent in Burleigh and Morton County. I was assigned your question to assist Esther.

If you click the link she sent you, you will see a page about slugs. Click on more information and there is information in there on how to check for them and how to get rid of them.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.