Lava rocks and ground cover fabric

I have a 30 foot pine tree and I pulled all the weeds from underneath it but I put down garden fabric ground cover and on top of that I put lava rocks is that a good thing for the Pine tree?

Jefferson County Ohio

An information search on your question gave me no specific objections to your choice of fabric ground cover covered with lava rocks under your pine tree. Several articles suggested a variety of low-growing plants to discourage weeds, others proposed simply allowing the fallen needles of the tree itself to accumulate. But it appears to me that you could watch over time to see how your choice works out for you. You will likely have to continue watching out to control weeds, and make sure the tree gets adequate water.

You may find more information by calling your county's OSU Extension Service office, at:
500 Market St, Suite 512
Steubenville, OH 43952
Phone:
740-264-2212
Fax:
740-264-2039
These offices are likely closed at this time, but staff will be checking phone messages and responding as needed.
Thank you for your question. We wish you success.