Apple Tree Question

Hello, We bought a house a couple of winters ago and discovered the following summer that we have an apple tree. I believe it is a Haralson tree. I’m excited, but have no idea what I’m doing. Can you recommend a book that will give me a good foundation on how to take care of this tree and get good harvests? Thank You!!

Dakota County Minnesota

A book is not really necessary, since the Extension Service has several publications devoted to growing apples. I'll give a link below. You should prepare yourself, however, because apples are one of the more difficult fruit fruits to grow in Minnesota. This is because they are the target of many pests: scab, maggots, coddling moth, plum curculio, fireblight, and so on. You will probably not get a clean crop this season, since the window for dealing with apple maggot has passed. But you can prepare for next season by cleaning up thoroughly around your tree.

The links off of this reference give details about the insects and diseases you may encounter: