Eggplant Thief

I have a box garden 4 feet above ground level. Something is removing my small eggplants. I find them on the ground with one bite taken out of each one. Whatever it is it does not touch my lettuce, peppers, cucumbers or anything else?????? Help

Rensselaer County New York

It sounds like vertebrate damage but the culprit is hard to identify. Deer and rabbits are less likely to touch eggplant and other members of the nightshade family, but rats, woodchucks, raccoons and squirrels will.

You may be able to narrow the field down by the dimensions of any barriers that you have in the way. You can sprinkle a layer of limestone to see if you can capture any footprints.

A chicken wire enclosure and sprinkled cayenne pepper (reapplied after rain) may be effective deterrents.

Wonderful information. Chicken wire and cayne pepper is on the way. Thanks so much. Jim