Norway Maple fungus

I have a Norway Maple with a fungus growing out of a broken limb, which I cut off of the tree. The amount of leafs this year is about 75% of last years amount. A friend told me the tree is infected with the fungus and it will die in 1 to 10 years. My questions are; 1. Is his diagnosis correct?, 2. Is any treatment available?

Michigan

Once a fungus enters the tree’s ‘system’ there is no way to remove it. Some fungi will cause a tree to decline by rotting the wood internally, and other fungi the tree can live with for a long period of time. The mushroom you saw is the reproductive part of the fungus, with the majority of the fungal structure remaining inside the tree.

There is a detailed discussion of the various fungal tree rots here-

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74109.html

Your best bet is to consult a certified arborist who will examine the tree from roots to crown, identify what type fungi you have( save the mushroom and limb you cut off), and make suggestions on how you can extend the life of the tree if it is safe to do so.

These assessments are not expensive when compared to the cost of losing your beautiful, mature tree. It is also a safety issue since, you wouldn’t want the tree to fall onto your home.

A certified arborist is a professional who has taken training in care, diseases, pests and passed certification tests. Find certified arborists by zip code here—-

www.treesaregood.org