Wound on Weeping Cherry

Hello Extension Service Expert, Please let me know what is the problem with this weeping cherry tree. Is the wound caused by mechanical means or by an insect or disease? Could the former have led to the attack by one or both of the latter? Then, please let me know what needs to be done about it to heal the tree. Thank you. Best regards, Germaine Timmermans

Prince George's County Maryland

Germaine,

Unfortunately your photo(s) did not come through. Can you please re-send?

Miri

Hello Miri,

Thank you for letting me know. I have attached it again. Please change my location to Prince George's County, Maryland. That was the one I selected, but it didn't show up as selected. This has been happening often lately. I never had this problem before. Does the IT Department know about it?

Cheers,

Germaine Timmermans

We added your location to the question.
We cannot say the reason for the wound at the base of the tree. Could be mechanical, physical, planting techniques, etc. If possible the tree will try to heal on its own. There is no treatment.

You did not mention how old the tree is and what the canopy looks like.
All you can do is prevent further damage and monitor the health of the tree. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and away from the base of the trunk. Prevent any lawn mower or string trimmer damage and water the tree during dry periods.

Marian