Why are my locust branches dropping?

We live in Loveland and have two 56 year old honey locust trees. Several years ago there was a heavy snow in town that damaged lots of trees. We lost several limbs. The following summer two big limbs fell without warning and after this last extremely cold time in April we’ve lost several smaller, but substantial limbs in the past two months. The fallen wood seems healthy. The trees have been pruned every 3 to 5 years and are due now, although mainly to remove dead wood.

Larimer County Colorado

I would recommend that you consult with a certified arborist who can assess the trees for their structural integrity. This is not something that CSU Extension can provide. There are individuals who specialist in tree risk assessment that you can consider.

Visit www.treesaregood.com and find an arborist. It's also possible the company/person who's been doing your pruning could assist with this task too.