Identifying animal that took my garden beets

Hi, I have a bit of a frustrating problem that I cannot figure out. I had planted a garden with tomatoes, squash, broccoli, cucumber, pumpkins, bell peppers, onions, carrots, pea pods, and beets (red and golden). I have the garden surrounded with a two foot heavy gauge wire fence with very small holes that measure maybe 1/2 inch. The garden was growing fine but two days ago most of my beets disappeared stem and root both. It was like a human was there and swiped them but the ring camera would have likely caught that. The next day, the rest of the beets not taken the first time were gone. However, nothing else in the garden looked disturbed ... maybe a couple buds off one of the pumpkin plans but that may have been like that before. There is no obvious damage like I would expect if a deer hopped over the fence and given how close all plants were together a larger animal like that would likely have trampled other things. In total there were at least 3 dozen beets that went missing. We live in a Plymouth neighborhood but have small wooded area behind yard so there are a fair number of rabbits, squirrels, and we do see deer every now and then. There are also vols that are in the neighborhood. So I am trying to figure out what could be responsible for taking the whole beets, roots and doing it without leaving much of a trace or other damage? My first thought again is deer but I struggle that they would not have really trampled other things and eaten the carrots as well. If I can get an idea of the perpetrator then I can hopefully do something to defend a bit better. Thanks

Hennepin County Minnesota

Voles will do that they come in underground and pull their favorite plants down. If there is plenty of food they can be quite selective.

Deer would leave prints, squirrels steal fruit, rabbits don’t take the roots. I think a vole is the likely thief. So sorry that is so discouraging.