Asked July 5, 2020, 4:56 PM EDT

I have an old pressure canner. Can you test it for me?

Curry County Oregon

1 Response

Pressure canner gauge testing is available at some County Extension Service offices, where a safety risk management plan has been implemented. Call the Curry County Extension office directly to ask what plan is in place for testing gauges (541) 247-6672.

If you need to get your gauge tested, but are uncomfortable coming to the OSU Extension Service office, the Family & Community Health Program recommends that you convert your dial gauge canner to a weighted gauge canner, as weighted gauge canners do not require testing. If you own a Presto pressure canner, you can purchase a 3-piece weighted gauge from a store that offers canning equipment. If you own an All American canner, you can purchase a conversion kit online. For more information about pressure canners, consult the publication “Using and Caring for your Pressure Canner:”

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert!