prep for blueberry bushes

I recently "put a deposit on" four blueberry bushes from Garden of Eden. Sometime in December, I will be able to dig them up and transplant them to my yard. What kind of prep do I need to do to the area in the meantime? I have loved picking berries at Garden of Eden for years and want to make the most of having a small piece of it at my own home!

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Hi- the site should be heavily amended with organic matter. Have your soil tested and let the lab know you are growing blueberry. They will make recommendations for lowering the soil pH with sulfur, based on the current soil pH, and applying fertilizers to add any nutrients that are lacking.

Mix 4-6 inches of compost or compost + peat moss into the top 8-12 inches of topsoil. It may be more practical to dig and transplant your plants in March when the ground is not frozen. Keep your plants well-watered, especially during dry periods. Pull off all flowers and fruits for the first two years to get a large root system established.

Please read our blueberry pages: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/blueberries
Jon