I’ve been harvesting my black elderberry for 4 years. This is the first year...

I’ve been harvesting my black elderberry for 4 years. This is the first year the leaves started falling off in June. The leaves that fall are yellow or half yellow and brown. See pic of leaves I picked off. The flowers look good and I’m looking forward to a lot of Elderberries. Do you know what could be causing this?

Pierce County Washington

Please re-upload photos--they are not on your post.

1. Are you getting new growth of leaves?
  2. Did the damaged leaves start with wilting leaves at the TIPS of the branches?
  3. Did the leaves start falling off after that wickedly hot couple of days we had June 22-23?

It probably started about that time.

I see fresh growth at the tips. I picked up off the ground all the bad leaves and picked them off the bush. Then I added old Woodchips and a soaker hose all around it. It’s still happening but not as bad. In rainy season the ground near there gets super soaked. -poor drainage even tho on a slope. I didn’t get any new

The photo I see of the leaves and flowers looks fantastic--healthy and happy. What percentage of the tree has the damaged leaves? I think this looks like leaf scorch from that hot, dry, breezy weather we had a couple weeks ago. you may continue to see damaged leaves until the ones affected fall off the tree. That's what the damage pattern looks like, and we've seen a lot of it this past June. If most of your tree looks like that third picture, and there's new growth beginning, I think your tree should be fine. Depending on your site, and you say it's on a slope, you may need to irrigate it during hot weather.

Thank you. I hadn’t considered leaf scorch and it’s good to know the effects can linger.