What kind of snake is this?

I found this snake in my house and I need to know what type of snake it is.

Lincoln Parish Louisiana

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the photograph you sent came through out of focus and the coloration appears to be altered. As a result I can't make out the markings on the head, the sides and the true color of your snake.

Your snake is not one of the native venomous species found in Louisiana. I believe it may be a juvenile speckled kingsnake, scientific name Lampropeltis getula holbrooki. Typical adult length is a little over four feet, and maximum length can reach between six and seven feet.

They live in a variety of habitats including hardwood and pine forests, sandhills, meadows, as well as urban and agricultural areas. Even though they are primarily a terrestrial species, they are often found along the grassy shorelines of ponds, swamps, streams and occasionally coastal salt marshes.

Kingsnakes are strong constrictors and feed on a variety of prey. They are best known for eating venomous snakes. They are immune to their venom. However, they also eat non-venomous snakes, rodents, lizards, birds and bird and reptile eggs.

Here's a link to the web page for this species on the Amphibians and Reptiles of Louisiana website:

http://www.louisianaherps.com/speckled-kingsnake-lamprope.html

If you can get a better photograph of your snake, I'll be glad to take a look at it for you. Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim