Cucumber Leaf Spots!!! Noooo!

Hi, I’m so glad I found you. This is my second year gardening and I have a problem with my cucumber plants. The leaves are starting to get spots on them that eventually turn into holes and then they shrivel up and be on crunch and brown. I thought anthracnose so I made a homemade baking soda anti-fungal. It’s not working. I have 4 cucumber plants. Although they are in different beds, they are both experiencing the same thing. Please help. This is so disappointing and I’m losing my confidence as a grower. I’d appreciate any help or expertise. Kind regards, Angie

New Castle County Delaware

Good afternoon,

Based on your photo, it looks like you have Bacterial Leaf Spot, Pseudomas syringae pv. lachrymans, on your cucumbers. Initially the spots turn brown and dry up leaving the leaves with tattered-looking holes. The disease also effects the stems and fruit. It can also be found on other members of the cucurbit family, squash and melons. Bacterial Leaf Spot occurs during periods of warm, wet weather, and are spread from plant to plant by water, splashing rain, insects, and working in garden when leaves are wet. The infected plants will grow poorly and sometimes have misshapen fruit. If you catch the disease early you might be able to remove the infected leaves, and any debris, water from below, not overhead irrigation to prevent the spread, but if it has progressed beyond a few leaves, you might need to pull out the whole plant, especially if you have other plants in the same family that are as yet unaffected.

Prevention is really the key, in the future:

Look for resistant varieties when purchasing seeds and plants.
Water from below, not overhead.
Don't work in wet areas of the garden.
Work in clean areas of the garden first-effected areas last- to stop spreading to other areas.
Remove any infected plant material quickly, bacterial thrives on plant residue.
Do not plant the same members of the cucurbit family in that spot the following year.
Don't plant to closely together. Provide space for good air circulation.
Try trellising to lift plants off the ground so they can dry out faster.
Practice good garden hygiene.

Gail Hermenau