Tree pest

Hi, I was wondering if you could identify this tree pest and how to treat it. There’s a powdery residue in the curled up leaves and some have a nasty, syrupy liquid inside the curls. It also seems as if ants may be preying on them. Thanks! Doug

Kenton County Kentucky

I am sorry but I cannot see enough detail to identify what is causing the leaf curl. Can you possible drop off a sample of the leaves and stem at one of our offices. There is a plastic tub outside of each building that has the forms to complete with your contact information.

Thanks
Dan Allen
Kenton County Agent for Agriculture and Natural Resources

Yes, thank you. I should be able to drop a sample off tomorrow.

In the meantime, I’ve attached a couple enlargements that might offer better detail.

Thanks again!

Doug and Lucy Fruchtenicht

Thanks again!

Doug and Lucy Fruchtenicht

OK we will look for the samples. May I suggest bringing them in on Monday? Our office will not process any samples until Monday as the pathology lab is closed this week at UK. If you bring it Monday it will be fresher when we send it down.

Dan

Thank you!