Small Tomato plants slow grow

I work in a community garden. Some of our tomato plants are doing well but others seem slow growing. They aren't flowering either. Should we fertilize them? They have been in the soil about a month now.

Michigan

Thanks for your question. It is a bit hard to give you a detailed answer without a bit more information or at least some pictures. There are a lot of things potentially affecting growth of your plants including the obvious things like sun exposure, watering, soil fertility and tomato variety. Are some of your plants in full sun and some get less? Is there anything you can point to that is different for the plants that are not thriving? If you can attach some photos that would be helpful and I might be able to answer better.

In general, you should be careful about fertilizing tomato plants too heavily. High nitrogen applications can lead to lots of foliage at the expense of flowers and fruit. Here is a link to a general information fact sheet for growing tomatoes that may be helpful.
www.canr.msu.edu/resources/michigan_fresh_growing_tomatoes

I hope your tomatoes pick up some vigor and growth and produce a bountiful crop.