Hydrangeas

How can I get a Hydrangea PLANTED LAST YEAR TO GROW FULLER? tHE LEAVES are small and it is not producing flowers in June.

Oakland County Michigan

Thank you for your question. Iwonder if you can tell me a little more about your hydrangea. What species is it? Where did you buy it and perhaps send a picture.
Thank you.

I purchased it from Bordines in Troy/Rochester MI. I have been watering it everyday now and it appears to be growing but will it flower this year?

it does not look like the hydrangea has any flower buds. The brown leaves and weak growth show that it does have a problem.

Hydrangeas prefer fertile, moist, well-draining soil, about 1 inch of water a week. They also thrive in part sun.
I wonder what kind of soil it is planted in. It appears to be very wet. Too much water and too little water can cause browning of the leaves. If it is planted in heavy clay, the roots may be waterlogged.
A 2 inch layer of organic mulch, spread around its roots, but not up against the plant, will be beneficial. It will help the soil retain moisture, add organic matter to the soil and keep down competing weeds.
I also suggest that you have the soil tested. You can obtain a soil kit https://homesoiltest.msu.edu/ and learn what may be causing the problem and how to amend the soil to the benefit of the plant.
Tank you for contacting Ask an Expert. Good luck with your hydrangea.

Thank you Susan. That was very helpful.