Trumpet Vine Eradication

Many years ago my husband and I ordered some trumpet vine from a gardening catalog and planted it on both sides of an arbor. It took off and initially looked beautiful with the brilliant orange trumpet flowers, but has now taken over everything in our/ my yard (my husband passed away six years ago), and I am unable to keep up with it. I need to find away to eradicate it, but am unable to do the work myself. Can you recommend a contractor for me to hire for this? I am so stressed out over it, I’m considering selling my house to get away from this overwhelming situation.

Baltimore County Maryland

Although we do not have any particular company recommendations, any reputable landscaping business should have good references and reviews if you are able to check forums for the like online. (Or you could query neighbors or friends who have hand landscaping work done.)

We're sorry the vine run amok has become an overwhelming problem - it should be relatively easy to fix, if the person(s) assisting you can be persistent. Consistent physical removal will work, as is prevents the root system from replenishing the energy reserves it uses to re-sprout. This will need to be done with vigilance, however, to remove leaves soon after they re-appear to shorten the time it will take to kill the vine. Given the intermittent nature of landscape company visits (depending on how busy their schedule is), this may be difficult to keep on top of unless they can stop by once or twice a week. (This is a guess - it may not come back quite that fast.)

The alternative is herbicide - the vine can be cut down and the appropriate herbicide painted onto the stump. This avoids spraying where other plants could be impacted, and concentrates the chemicals where they are needed for maximum effect. Even so, this may need to be repeated a few times to fully eliminate it all, since these vines sucker (spread from root sprouts). A landscape company with licensed pesticide applicators will have no trouble obtaining and using such an herbicide.

Trumpet Vine is a native vine that, in the right place, can be quite useful for attracting hummingbirds and other wildlife. If you will miss it for that reason, perhaps the landscaper can replace it (once it's gone) with a more well-behaved native vine like Trumpet Honeysuckle (not thuggish like the shrubby non-native ones) or a clumping perennial (many are great for hummingbirds and other pollinators).

Miri