WHITE BUTTERYFLY/MOTH?

Hello, I read somewhere that white butterflies or moths I am seeing in my garden are harmful - IO saw one with what looked like a red dot on a wing. Do you know their identity and if they are harmful to my flowers and vegetable plants? Thank you.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question. There are literally hundreds of butterflies and moths in Oregon, so getting a good photo is the only way to ID them to determine whether you need to control them. It is actually not the adult stage of these that cause damage in the garden. It is their larva, caterpillars, that have to eat, and they like our vegetables. Once they fly, their only purpose is to law eggs for the next generation. So knowing both the species as well as where they are in their life cycle is important. If you can get a good photo, send it back and we'll go from there. Thanks!